Thursday, August 27, 2009

On the other side of equation

Yesterday,I got the news that my project is ending in two months and for next project they will not need any workers here. They are going to outsource it to the teams at India, China. Makes perfect business sense.But that is not a happy news for me.As that means I will not have a job in few months.

Other than several thoughts which pass my mind -like what next, how are we going to manage and blah blah ,I was also thinking about the reason given to me. It was easier to just blame and start hating Bl**dy Indians if I was not one among them. Certainly, I can't do that. That is my home.I got my first job there because of outsourcing itself. Did I think at that time that this job actually belongs to some one else.So obviously I don't have that choice of cribbing for the cause which benefited me some time back.

Though, I have an option to go back to India. But Is that a guaranteed success path? Probably not.Sooner or later some other countries will emerge with same skills but less cost. So does that mean my skills are getting cheaper day by day? difficult to answer but answer is 'Yes'. Hence moral of the story is In this new globalized world need to develop skills which are not so globally available.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really sad news but I am sure you would find another job pretty soon.

But do you really think that we Indians are stealing "their" jobs? Or we are just a good business solution for these "multinational" companies? Or we are better than others at what we do? Or we are just cheap laborers?

I don't know. But as long as India is benefiting from from this, i am more that happy. :)

Neeru Gupta said...

Hi,

Couple of reasons on top of my head -

First and foremost - MNCs came to India undoubtedly for cheap labor. But they got comparable quality at that cost too. Now these two factors can be easily met at other countries like China/Middle East or some African countries. Only thing which is limiting them is -their English.That is one point where we take the lead.

But other countries are already aware of it. China has already started English teaching program for younger generation.

So in order to remain ahead we need to continuously evolve.